What is GPRS roaming?
With GPRS Roaming customers will have access to services such as the Internet, WAP and even MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) on their mobile phones, laptops or PDA devices while abroad. Customers will experience the same consistent level of service performance and security, which they experience on the Digicel home network.
The FAQs are:
1. What are the benefits of using GPRS roaming?
- Digicel customers are offered the convenience of being able to use voice and data services while roaming.
- GPRS roaming offers customers MORE ways of keeping in touch with loved ones and friends. With GPRS roaming ‘a picture says a thousand words’ now that you’re able to convey images of a vacation with those at home.
2. Is GPRS roaming available for both prepaid and postpaid customers?
- Yes in quite a few territories.
3. Is GPRS roaming available for both WAP and WEB browsing?
- GPRS roaming is available for any postpaid customer with a GPRS compatible device and a subscription for the service, whether WAP or WEB.
- Please note however that your GPRS device determines your ability to perform WEB browsing. Most devices allow WAP browsing.
4. Do I need to activate the GPRS roaming service in order to use it?
- If International Roaming is already provisioned on your account, then you do not need to activate roaming before travelling.
5. What would I need to activate before GPRS roaming?
- Once you have International Roaming enabled, you will have access to all the GPRS services that the operator you are roaming with has.
- If the network you are roaming with does not offer GPRS Services, you will not be able to use GPRS while roaming.
- Case in point, if you are roaming to India and the Indian operator only has GSM roaming (voice and text services only), you will not have access to any GPRS services. On the flip side, you cannot use GPRS roaming without having GSM roaming available.
6. If I have GPRS and I am roaming on a network that does not offer GPRS, will I be able to access GPRS?
- The partner you are roaming with must provide GPRS services before you are able to access GPRS while roaming.
7. What services/applications will be available to me when I use GPRS while roaming?
- All GPRS services that are currently available on your home network will be available to you while roaming.
- Please note that the network you are roaming with must provide GPRS Services.
8. Do I need a specific handset type to use the GPRS roaming service?
- Yes. Your handset must be GPRS compatible and your postpaid account must be provisioned with roaming. GPRS Roaming is subject to the band of the network that you are roaming on.
9. How secure is GPRS roaming?
- GPRS roaming is as secure as the visiting GSM network will allow.
10. What is the expected speed of GPRS while roaming?
- This will be consistent with current speed available on the roaming network.
11. Is there a preferred list of GPRS roaming partners? What makes a roaming partner preferred?
- Yes there is a preferred list. A preferred roaming partner is one who offers preferential/competitive rates to Digicel GPRS Roamers.
- The list of preferred partners can be located on our website http://www.digicelbarbados.com
12. As a postpaid customer, will I be required to make an additional DEPOSIT to my account in order to use this service?
- No. You are not required to make a deposit.
Rates and Charges
13. What will be the charge for using the service of GPRS?
- Like GSM Roaming, GPRS Roaming charges will be different from the rates applied to regular local GPRS access.
- GPRS Roaming rates will be shown per Mb (billed per Kb).
- We advise that customers contact customer care prior to travel to ensure the correct rates are communicated for specific networks and roaming destinations as well as to avoid any bill shock regarding GPRS Roaming.
14. Will I be charged in Barbados dollars while GPRS roaming or is there a standard figure/rate being used?
- Standard rates will be set in USD and converted to Barbados dollars based on the rate of exchange at that time.
15. What is the charge for using MMS while roaming?
- Sending MMS – flat rate
- Receiving MMS - FREE
- Inbound roamers will be charged according to their home network charging method – this is usually done on a per Kb basis.
16. Is there a minimum credit amount that must be maintained on my prepaid account for GPRS, MMS access, while roaming?
- Prepaid GPRS roaming will not be available in the initial phase of GPRS roaming deployment.
Access, Settings and Activation
17. How do I get access to GPRS Roaming?
- Have International Roaming provisioned on your postpaid account.
- Have your SIM & phone provisioned with GPRS (and MMS where applicable).
- Ensure your handset is GPRS compatible.
- Ensure your handset supports the same bandwidth as the country you’re roaming in.
18. Are there any special configuration settings that I might need in order to use the GPRS roaming service?
- The customer needs to have International Roaming enabled on the SIM, even if they only plan to use GPRS while roaming.
19. Can I apply for GPRS access while roaming, if it was not requested before departure?
- Yes, all the requirements of International Roaming would have to be fulfilled.
20. How do I contact Digicel Customer Care while roaming?
- You can contact Digicel Customer Care when roaming by dialing: +1 246 434 3444
21. Can OTA configurations settings be sent to my phone internationally?
- Yes. If you need to have OTA configurations sent to you while roaming, Customer Care can send the OTA settings to your number and you will receive the settings.
22. Do International roaming partners have OTA support?
- No, OTA Settings must be sent from the home country.
23. If additional settings or special settings are required for GPRS roaming, how do I get these settings?
- No additional settings are required.
24. Do I need to contact my visiting network to have my GPRS roaming information updated or will it be readily accessible upon arrival?
- No. Your GPRS roaming information is updated automatically once you arrive in the visiting country and access the GPRS Service.
25. Am I able to access my VPN while GPRS roaming?
26. When roaming, can I select 1 roaming partner for Voice Services and select another roaming partner for GPRS Services?
- No, you can only select one (1) roaming partner when using International roaming. If this partner provides both Voice and Data services, then you may access both